If you’re looking to become a teacher in Washington but hold a bachelor’s degree in a different field, there is an alternative certification option available in the state that will allow you to become a certified teacher in a short amount of time. Here is a look at what the program is all about and what you need to know to apply.
Alternative Certification Route 3
Program Mission and Overview
- This program is designed specifically for candidates who have a bachelor’s degree and are not yet employed with a Washington school district. Candidates who want to teach in areas that have a teacher shortage are given priority over other candidates.
- Candidates complete a summer preparation institute, followed by a year of mentored teaching. A second summer preparation institute may be necessary for some candidates.
Eligibility and How to Apply
- Have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. GPA may be a consideration.
- Have five years of work experience in the field they want to teach.
- Pass the WEST-E subject matter and WEST-B basic skills tests.
- Meet the general requirements for becoming a teacher in Washington.
- Apply through an approved institution that offers required coursework.
Tuition and other costs associated with this alternative certification program vary depending on the institution candidates choose. Candidates may cover some or all of the cost with an alternative certification scholarship . A limited number of these scholarships are available to qualified candidates.