If you’re looking to become a teacher in Utah but hold a bachelor’s degree in a different field, there are several options available that will allow you to become a certified teacher in a short amount of time. Here is a look at what the program is all about and what you need to know to apply.
Program’s Mission and Goals
The Utah Alternative Routes to Licensure (ARL) program allows candidates who earned a bachelor’s degree in another field to obtain teaching certification. Those who want to work in secondary schools must have a degree in the subject area they want to teach, or have the appropriate number of credits in the subject area. Those interested in elementary education must have 27 semester hours in liberal arts, science, social studies, health, language arts, fine arts or mathematics.
- Candidates are able to work in a Utah school district while completing the ARL Plan’s coursework, testing and other requirements.
- A Professional Growth Plan (PGP) is another aspect of this program. All candidates must take approximately six pedagogy courses, one to four method courses and additional content coursework.
Eligibility and How to Apply
- Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Elementary candidates must have 27 to 38 credits in elementary education curriculum content.
- Secondary candidates must have a degree in an education-related subject.
- Candidates must pass a criminal background check.
- Candidates must obtain employment with a Utah school district.
- Candidates must pass the PRAXIS II content area test.
- Interested candidates can find application information at the Utah schools website.
Tuition varies depending on the institution candidates choose to complete their coursework. Other fees include:
- Background check fee: $40
- Application fee: $75
- Professional development and tracking fee: $300
- Licensure fee: $40
USC Rossier School of Education
Earn your Master’s or EdD online at the Top-Ranked USC Rossier School of Education
- Live, weekly classes
- Networking Opportunities
- An on-campus immersion
- 24/7 student support services