Become a Teacher
To become a certified teacher in Wyoming, you will need to fulfill all prerequisite coursework, teacher preparation, and testing requirements.
Our goal is to make this process as easy as possible, and we are dedicated to updating the site with new information on a regular basis. To stay up-to-date with the latest in teacher certification, please complete the form in the right sidebar.
Alternative CertificationGraduates of accredited colleges or universities whose bachelor’s degree was not in education, and who have not yet earned a traditional teaching certificate, can still receive an alternative teaching certificate by satisfying certain requirements. Information about alternative certification in Wyoming is coming soon!
|New Jersey||New Mexico||New York||North Carolina|
|Rhode Island||South Carolina||South Dakota||Tennessee|
- Incentives to teach in high-needs schools or shortage subject areas: Wyoming provides differential pay support for teachers teaching in high needs schools and teachers teaching in shortage subject areas
- Policies in place that articulate elements of effective induction: Wyoming has no induction policies in place
- Average Elementary Teacher Salary: The average elementary school teacher in Wyoming makes $56,330
- Average Secondary Teacher Salary: The average secondary teacher in Wyoming makes $57,750
- Teacher Salary vs. State Average Salary: The average teacher in Wyoming makes 112% of the salary of the average worker in Wyoming
- Number of Vacation Weeks Per Year: The average teacher in Wyoming receives 15 weeks of vacation per year
Subject Area Competence
- At this time, there are only two teaching areas for which Wyoming requires applicants to pass an approved (PRAXIS II) exam to obtain an initial license or an added endorsement:
- Elementary Education – These applicants must take the PRAXIS II exam 0011 “Elementary Education: Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment” and receive a passing score of 160 or better.
- Social Studies Composite – These applicants must take the PRAXIS II exam 0081 “Social Studies: Content Knowledge” and receive a passing score of 158 or better.
- Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board
- Wyoming Teacher Tenure
- Troops to Teachers Wyoming: In Wyoming, Troops to Teachers is managed by the Lewis and Clark Region Office
Wyoming Department of Education
- 2300 Capitol Avenue
- Hathaway Building, 2nd Floor
- Cheyenne, Wyoming 82002 For further information, contact:
- Terry Sexton
- (307) 777-6261