Become a Teacher
To become a certified teacher in Washington, you will need to fulfill all prerequisite coursework, teacher preparation, and testing requirements.
Our goal is to make this process as easy as possible, and we are dedicated to updating the site with new information on a regular basis. To stay up-to-date with the latest in teacher certification, please complete the form in the right sidebar.
Alternative CertificationGraduates of accredited colleges or universities whose bachelor’s degree was not in education, and who have not yet earned a traditional teaching certificate, can still receive an alternative teaching certificate by satisfying certain requirements. Information about alternative certification in Washington is coming soon!
|Nebraska||Nevada||New Hampshire||New Jersey|
|New Mexico||New York||North Carolina||North Dakota|
|Rhode Island||South Carolina||South Dakota||Tennessee|
- Incentives to teach in high-needs schools or shortage subject areas: Washington provides differential pay for teachers teaching in high needs schools and offers loan forgiveness for teachers teaching in shortage subject areas
- Policies in place that articulate elements of effective induction: Washington has limited/weak induction policies in place
- Average Elementary Teacher Salary: The average elementary school teacher in Washington makes $57,760
- Average Secondary Teacher Salary: The average secondary teacher in Washington makes $59,470
- Teacher Salary vs. State Average Salary: The average teacher in Washington makes 130% of the salary of the average worker in Washington
- Number of Vacation Weeks Per Year: The average teacher in Washington receives 15 weeks of vacation per year
Basic Skills Test
Subject Area Competence
- Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Washington Teacher Tenure
- Troops to Teachers Washington: In Washington, Troops to Teachers is managed by the Mountain Pacific Region Office
Washington State Board of Education
- Office of Public Instruction & Professional Certification
- Old Capitol Building, P.O. Box 47200
- Olympia, Washington 98504 For further information, contact:
- (360) 725-6400
Certification Map has partnered with Rossier Online, a master level teaching degree program delivered online at the USC Rossier School of Education. Learn more about how the program’s unique blend of online learning and field-based teaching will prepare you for a career working in Washington classrooms.