Become a Teacher
in South Carolina
To become a certified teacher in South Carolina, you will need to fulfill all prerequisite coursework, teacher preparation, and testing requirements.
Our goal is to make this process as easy as possible, and we are dedicated to updating the site with new information on a regular basis. To stay up-to-date with the latest in teacher certification, please complete the form in the right sidebar.
Alternative CertificationGraduates of accredited colleges or universities whose bachelor’s degree was not in education, and who have not yet earned a traditional teaching certificate, can still receive an alternative teaching certificate by satisfying certain requirements. The state of South Carolina officially recognizes ABCTE certification as a route to earning your South Carolina teacher certification.
|Nevada||New Hampshire||New Jersey||New Mexico|
|New York||North Carolina||North Dakota||Ohio|
- Incentives to teach in high-needs schools or shortage subject areas: South Carolina provides loan forgiveness support for teachers teaching in high needs schools and teachers teaching in shortage subject areas
- Policies in place that articulate elements of effective induction: South Carolina has strong induction policies in place
- Average Elementary Teacher Salary: The average elementary school teacher in South Carolina makes $47,090
- Average Secondary Teacher Salary: The average secondary teacher in South Carolina makes $48,930
- Teacher Salary vs. State Average Salary: The average teacher in South Carolina makes 141% of the salary of the average worker in South Carolina
- Number of Vacation Weeks Per Year: The average teacher in South Carolina receives 15 weeks of vacation per year
Basic Skills Test
Subject Area Competence
- South Carolina Department of Education
- South Carolina Teacher Tenure
- Troops to Teachers South Carolina: In South Carolina, Troops to Teachers is managed by the South Carolina Troops to Teachers Office
South Carolina State Department of Education
- Educator Certification Office
- 8301 Parklane Road
- Columbia, South Carolina 29223 For further information, contact:
- Bill Billingsley, Certification Team Leader
- (803) 734-8466