Become a Teacher
in Rhode Island
To become a certified teacher in Rhode Island, you will need to fulfill all prerequisite coursework, teacher preparation, and testing requirements.
Our goal is to make this process as easy as possible, and we are dedicated to updating the site with new information on a regular basis. To stay up-to-date with the latest in teacher certification, please complete the form in the right sidebar.
|Nevada||New Hampshire||New Jersey||New Mexico|
|New York||North Carolina||North Dakota||Ohio|
- Incentives to teach in high-needs schools or shortage subject areas: Rhode Island provides no support for teachers teaching in high needs schools or teachers teaching in shortage subject areas
- Policies in place that articulate elements of effective induction: Rhode Island has strong induction policies in place
- Average Elementary Teacher Salary: The average elementary school teacher in Rhode Island makes $65,020
- Average Secondary Teacher Salary: The average secondary teacher in Rhode Island makes $64,550
- Teacher Salary vs. State Average Salary: The average teacher in Rhode Island makes 158% of the salary of the average worker in Rhode Island
- Number of Vacation Weeks Per Year: The average teacher in Rhode Island receives 15 weeks of vacation per year
Basic Skills Test
- Rhode Island does not require a basic skills test for student teaching or for certification.
Subject Area Competence
- Praxis II: Early Childhood Education Test and Early Childhood Content Knowledge Test is required for the early childhood certificate, or completion of Praxis II: Elementary Education: Content Knowledge Test and Elementary Education: Content Area Exercises Test is required for the elementary certificate.
- Praxis II: Subject Tests and Praxis II: PLT (Principles of Learning and Teaching) for some specialties.
- Rhode Island Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
- Rhode Island Teacher Tenure
- Troops to Teachers Rhode Island: In Rhode Island, Troops to Teachers is managed by the New England Region Office
Rhode Island Department of Education
- 255 Westminster Street
- Providence, Rhode Island 02903 For further information, contact: