Become a Teacher
To become a certified teacher in Pennsylvania, you will need to fulfill all prerequisite coursework, teacher preparation, and testing requirements.
Our goal is to make this process as easy as possible, and we are dedicated to updating the site with new information on a regular basis. To stay up-to-date with the latest in teacher certification, please complete the form in the right sidebar.
Alternative CertificationGraduates of accredited colleges or universities whose bachelor’s degree was not in education, and who have not yet earned a traditional teaching certificate, can still receive an alternative teaching certificate by satisfying certain requirements. The state of Pennsylvania officially recognizes ABCTE certification as a route to earning your Pennsylvania teacher certification.
|New Hampshire||New Jersey||New Mexico||New York|
|North Carolina||North Dakota||Ohio||Oklahoma|
|Oregon||Rhode Island||South Carolina||South Dakota|
- Incentives to teach in high-needs schools or shortage subject areas: Pennsylvania provides loan forgiveness support for teachers teaching in high needs schools and loan forgiveness and differential pay for teachers teaching in shortage subject areas
- Policies in place that articulate elements of effective induction: Pennsylvania has strong induction policies in place
- Average Elementary Teacher Salary: The average elementary school teacher in Pennsylvania makes $53,960
- Average Secondary Teacher Salary: The average secondary teacher in Pennsylvania makes $56,740
- Teacher Salary vs. State Average Salary: The average teacher in Pennsylvania makes 132% of the salary of the average worker in Pennsylvania
- Number of Vacation Weeks Per Year: The average teacher in Pennsylvania receives 15 weeks of vacation per year
Basic Skills Test
Subject Area CompetencePennsylvania teacher certification testing requirements.
- Pennsylvania Department of Education
- Pennsylvania Teacher Tenure
- Troops to Teachers Pennsylvania: In Pennsylvania, Troops to Teachers is managed by the Pennsylvania and New York Region Office
- Subscribe to Certification Map’s monthly newsletter to receive updates about teacher certification, education news and much more.
Pennsylvania Department of Education
School of Leadership & Teacher Quality
333 Market Street
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17126
For further information, contact: