Become a Teacher
To become a certified teacher in Ohio, you will need to fulfill all prerequisite coursework, teacher preparation, and testing requirements.
Our goal is to make this process as easy as possible, and we are dedicated to updating the site with new information on a regular basis. To stay up-to-date with the latest in teacher certification, please complete the form in the right sidebar.
Alternative CertificationGraduates of accredited colleges or universities whose bachelor’s degree was not in education, and who have not yet earned a traditional teaching certificate, can still receive an alternative teaching certificate by satisfying certain requirements. Information about alternative certification in Ohio is coming soon!
|Nevada||New Hampshire||New Jersey||New Mexico|
|New York||North Carolina||North Dakota||Oklahoma|
|Oregon||Pennsylvania||Rhode Island||South Carolina|
- Incentives to teach in high-needs schools or shortage subject areas: Ohio provides differential pay support for teachers teaching in high needs schools and teachers teaching in shortage subject areas
- Policies in place that articulate elements of effective induction: Ohio Four Year Resident Educator Program
- Average Elementary Teacher Salary: The average elementary school teacher in Ohio makes $54,180
- Average Secondary Teacher Salary: The average secondary teacher in Ohio makes $55,870
- Teacher Salary vs. State Average Salary: The average teacher in Ohio makes 151% of the salary of the average worker in Ohio
- Number of Vacation Weeks Per Year: The average teacher in Ohio receives 15 weeks of vacation per year
Basic Skills Test
Subject Area Competence
- Praxis II: Subject Tests in your specialty area and
- Praxis II: PLT (Principles of Learning and Teaching)
- If teaching world languages: American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages
- Ohio Department of Education
- Ohio Teacher Tenure
- Ohio Four Year Resident Educator Program
- Troops to Teachers Ohio: In Ohio, Troops to Teachers is managed by the Ohio Troops to Teachers Office