Become a Teacher
To become a certified teacher in Massachusetts, you will need to fulfill all prerequisite coursework, teacher preparation, and testing requirements.
Our goal is to make this process as easy as possible, and we are dedicated to updating the site with new information on a regular basis. To stay up-to-date with the latest in teacher certification, please complete the form in the right sidebar.
Alternative CertificationGraduates of accredited colleges or universities whose bachelor’s degree was not in education, and who have not yet earned a traditional teaching certificate, can still receive an alternative teaching certificate by satisfying certain requirements. Information about alternative certification in Massachusetts is coming soon!
|Massachusetts will accept some teaching credentials from the following states. Contact the Massachusetts Department of Elementary & Secondary Education to inquire about your specific situation. Please see our interstate reciprocity disclaimer for more information.
- Incentives to teach in high-needs schools or shortage subject areas: Massachusetts provides differential pay support for teachers teaching in high needs schools and teachers teaching in shortage subject areas
- Policies in place that articulate elements of effective induction: Massachusetts has strong induction policies in place
- Average Elementary Teacher Salary: The average elementary school teacher in Massachusettes makes $62,570
- Average Secondary Teacher Salary: The average secondary teacher in Massachusetts makes $62,850
- Teacher Salary vs. State Average Salary: The average teacher in Massachusetts makes 116% of the salary of the average worker in Massachusetts
- Number of Vacation Weeks Per Year: The average teacher in Massachusetts receives 15 weeks of vacation per year
Subject Area Competence
- MTEL Communication and Literacy Skills test and the subject matter knowledge test(s) appropriate to the license sought
- Massachusetts Department of Elementary & Secondary Education
- Massachusetts Teacher Tenure
- Troops to Teachers Massachusetts: In Massachusetts, Troops to Teachers is managed by the New England Region Office
Massachusetts Department of Elementary & Secondary Education
- Office of Educator Licensure
- 75 Pleasant Street
- Malden, Massachusetts 02148