Become a Teacher
To become a certified teacher in Maryland, you will need to fulfill all prerequisite coursework, teacher preparation, and testing requirements.
Our goal is to make this process as easy as possible, and we are dedicated to updating the site with new information on a regular basis. To stay up-to-date with the latest in teacher certification, please complete the form in the right sidebar.
Alternative CertificationGraduates of accredited colleges or universities whose bachelor’s degree was not in education, and who have not yet earned a traditional teaching certificate, can still receive an alternative teaching certificate by satisfying certain requirements. Information about alternative certification in Maryland is coming soon!
- Incentives to teach in high-needs schools or shortage subject areas: Maryland provides differential pay support for teachers teaching in high needs schools or teachers teaching in shortage subject areas
- Policies in place that articulate elements of effective induction: Maryland has limited to weak induction policies in place
- Average Elementary Teacher Salary: The average elementary school teacher in Maryland makes $59,840
- Average Secondary Teacher Salary: The average secondary teacher in Maryland makes $63,000
- Teacher Salary vs. State Average Salary: The average teacher in Maryland makes 121% of the salary of the average worker in Maryland
- Number of Vacation Weeks Per Year: The average teacher in Maryland receives 15 weeks of vacation per year
Basic Skills Test
- PPST (Pre Professional Skills Test) or a passing score on the SAT, ACT, or GRE.
Subject Area CompetencePraxis II: Subject Tests in your specialty area
- Maryland State Department of Education
- Maryland Teacher Tenure
- Troops to Teachers Maryland: In Arizona, Troops to Teachers is managed by the Mid-Atlantic Region Office
Maryland State Department of Education
- Division of Certification and Accreditation
- 200 West Baltimore Street
- Baltimore, Maryland 21201 For further information, contact:
- Michelle Dunkle, email@example.com
- (410) 767-0412