Become a Teacher
To become a certified teacher in Indiana, you will need to fulfill all prerequisite coursework, teacher preparation, and testing requirements.
Our goal is to make this process as easy as possible, and we are dedicated to updating the site with new information on a regular basis. To stay up-to-date with the latest in teacher certification, please complete the form in the right sidebar.
Alternative CertificationGraduates of accredited colleges or universities whose bachelor’s degree was not in education, and who have not yet earned a traditional teaching certificate, can still receive an alternative teaching certificate by satisfying certain requirements. Information about alternative certification in Indiana can be found here.
|New Hampshire||New Jersey||New Mexico||New York|
|North Carolina||North Dakota||Ohio||Oklahoma|
|Oregon||Pennsylvania||Rhode Island||South Carolina|
- Incentives to teach in high-needs schools or shortage subject areas: Indiana provides no support for teachers teaching in high needs schools or teachers teaching in shortage subject areas
- Policies in place that articulate elements of effective induction: Indiana has strong induction policies in place
- Average Elementary Teacher Salary: The average elementary school teacher in Indiana makes $48,550
- Average Secondary Teacher Salary: The average secondary teacher in Indiana makes $46,630
- Teacher Salary vs. State Average Salary: The average teacher in Indiana makes 140% of the salary of the average worker in Indiana
- Number of Vacation Weeks Per Year: The average teacher in Indiana receives 15 weeks of vacation per year
Basic Skills Test
- ACT with a score of at least 24 based on Math, Reading, Grammar, and Science
- SAT with a score of at least 1100 based on Critical Reading and Math
- GRE with a score of at least 1100 based on Verbal and Quantitative prior to 8/1/11
- GRE with a score of at least 301 based on Verbal and Quantitative after to 8/1/11
Subject Area Competence
- Indiana Department of Education
- Indiana Teacher Preparation
- Troops to Teachers Indiana: In Indiana, Troops to Teachers is managed by the Indiana and Illinois Region Office